Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bisher's - the first stop

The benefit of the large chain is that, of course, you can do all your shopping in one place.  Yesterday, I hit the road with my shopping list expecting, correctly, that I was going to have to make three stops.  I knew that the meat selection at Ramona Family Naturals is small and $$$$$, so I headed for Bishers as my first stop of the day. 

Twenty three years I've lived here and I've never set foot in the place.  It was a great experience!  The kids were with me of course, but the gentleman helping me didn't seem bothered by that a bit.  He was super helpful, the store was clean, and while the prices were undeniably higher than grocery store prices, so was the quality.  He seasoned some of the meat for me and wrapped it extra tightly in an outer layer of plastic because he knew we were going camping and didn't want it to get wet in a cooler.  LOTS to be said for customer service!

I went in with specific things in mind, but I think checking in occasionally and stocking up on sale items will help lower the price tag.  They had a huge selection and lots of specials.  Now . . . keep in mind this is NOT organic.  Remember those baby steps I mentioned before?  This is one of them.  But this is a huge step in the right direction.

Another great find at Bisher's - eggs!  Bisher's sells flats of extra large eggs (I think they may have been brown, too, but not positive about that).  The price was crazy low - wish I'd written it down.  These are from hormone free, free-range chickens - again, not organic.  But a flat of eggs here cost the same as a dozen organic eggs so . . . . might just have to be another compromise.  I didn't make that purchase yesterday since they weren't on my list.

Go to Bisher's!  They're taking orders for free-range Thanksgiving turkeys right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment