One of the best ways I've found to save money in shopping is to create a weekly menu (click on this week's to view full size) that includes everything - even snacks. Looking at everything on one sheet enables me to plan wisely, making for less waste. I haven't been very good about this the last few months, but with our new shopping habits, I plan to be better.
I tend to start my menu plans by choosing dinners. That way I know the main purchases I'll be making and I can distribute raw leftovers to other menu areas. For example . . . if I'm making a roast, I know I need to buy one bundle of carrots, but I'll only use about half in the roast. For this particular week, I'll use the other half for one lunch, one snack, and the rest in our minestrone soup.When I shop, I don't stray from the menu with one exception . . . I look for items that are in season or on sale and can be stored long-term. Items like meats, some fruits, and veggies. I have a beautiful supply of red bells in my freezer from one such sale and now I can use them whenever I like.
I'm still getting a feel for the pricing differences between "regular" food and organic, so tomorrow when I shop I guess I'll find out just how many things I can get at the organic prices and then head to Bishers, I think, for the meats. Trying to avoid the large chain if possible, but we'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment